Please NOTE: Grant programs for 2021 funding will be offered in two cycles with RFAs going live in November 2020 or May 2021.
To view a schedule of current funding opportunities, please click here.
Please note that dates are subject to change. To be notified of all grant opportunities as their application period opens, sign up for email
OREF Perioperative Surgical and Medical Home Patient Safety Research Grant
$135,000 over a two year grant period
- (OREF), in partnership with the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER), the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF), the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the Cigna Foundation, encourages proposals in support of high quality research that addresses the perioperative surgical and medical home as they relate to patient safety in orthopaedics.
- Well-crafted translational and clinical studies that address a culture of safety, team communication, effective communication with patients, appropriateness of tests and treatments, decreased surgeon-to-surgeon variation and other areas of focus are strongly encouraged.
- Multidisciplinary research activity is encouraged, and OREF requires an Orthopaedic Surgeon in the role of PI or co-PI collaborating with an Anesthesiologist in order to foster the application of a full range of expertise, approaches, technologies and creativity. The Anesthesiologist may serve as the principal investigator (PI) if an orthopaedic surgeon serves as the Co-PI.
- The orthopaedic surgeon must be licensed to practice in the United States and working in an institution in the U.S.
The Orthopaedic Surgeon must be a new investigator. A new investigator is classified as an individual who has not received an R01 National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant or its equivalent (e.g., VA, DOD, and NSF, etc.) as a PI.
- The Anesthesiologist must be an early stage investigator. An early stage investigator has completed his/her training within 10 years of medical residency and has not received an NIH R01 grant or secured independent funding from other large scale funders in the role of PI (e.g. DOD, NSF, VA, AHRQ, etc).
- Applications may be submitted by domestic non-profit, public and private institutions of higher education, such as hospitals, medical schools, universities and colleges.
To find out when this opportunity will be available, please click here.
Please note that dates are subject to change and the website will be updated accordingly.
The next RFA date for this grant is TBD.
Mar 14, 2017, 12:00 AM
Have a question for the OREF Grants team?
Submit a question here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.